Compare Probiotics Brands
|December 16, 2011||Posted by admin under Digestive Supplements||
How Do You Compare Probiotics Brands? Determining the Best Option
When you compare probiotics brands of nutritional supplements, price should not be the only issue. There are a lot of factors that should be considered if you are to determine the best probiotic supplement for you. This guideline can help you determine what you should be looking for.
1. Strain used. Probiotics are not naturally-occurring organisms, they are created through fermentation. There are various microbes used in creating probiotics, with lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria as the two most common types used. The more strains there are the more benefits that the product can provide.
2. Other contents. Aside from the probiotics, there will be other ingredients that will be part of the nutritional supplement. If you have lactose intolerance or allergies to milk, make sure that your supplement does not contain milk protein or products or lactose. There are also people who exhibit adverse reactions to soy products, so supplements with soy are out of the question for them. Those who are following a gluten-free diet or are simply not allowed to have gluten due to an existing medical condition should look for supplements that are gluten-free.
3. Chemical additives. Some products inevitably use some sort of additive, probably when making the capsule or tablet that will contain the actual supplement. The more natural the ingredients are, the better. So try to compare probiotics brands of supplements and see which are made from all-natural ingredients or do not have chemical additives.
4. Age target. There are supplements specifically designed for adults and are not suitable for children, while there are others that are particularly formulated just for kids. Make sure that you are getting the product that is appropriate to the age of the person who will be taking it. Adult formulas are often stronger than those created for children, so utmost care is needed, especially when choosing supplements for kids.
5. Brand reputation. Do not just go for the cheapest brand, look for a name that is trusted in the nutritional supplement market. Some consumers prefer unknown and untested products over branded ones, mainly because of the difference in the price. However, you will not be saving money by choosing the cheapest brand if that product turned out to be less than what you need. Health-related products are not something to be stingy about.
6. Ease of use. There are people who find it difficult to swallow capsules, so a powder supplement or a chewable gel may be preferable. Powder probiotic supplements can be easily added to food or drinks, effectively eliminating the trouble of having to swallow any pill. Chewables are often designed for kids and usually carry a fruit flavor.
7. Accessibility. It may be hard to gain the benefits that a product can offer if it is difficult to get your hands on it. Choose supplements that can be easily purchased from drugstores or food stores or can be conveniently ordered online, depending on your personal preference.
8. Research support. It will be beneficial to read up on the various reviews about different probiotic supplements that can be accessed online. You do not need to take the reviewers’ words at face value, but at least you will have an idea of what differentiate one product from another. Also, find as much information as you can about probiotics before you purchase a supplement made from this material.
9. Prebiotic content. Probiotic supplements that also have prebiotics have better effects, in most cases. This is because prebiotics serve as food to probiotics and there have been studies claiming that probiotics actually do not work as well as they should in the absence of prebiotics. You might even be better served by opting for pure prebiotic nutritional supplements as these do not need probiotics to work. When you compare probiotics brands, make sure that you focus more on quality than price.